Thursday, August 7, 2014

Artisian Spotlight: Myco Creations

Do you know of anyone that grows cotton, and make their own clothing? Well, the featured designer in this interview does! Her name is Arminda Colo`n , she creates on many different levels, from clothing to crystal filled soap bars! She's 36 years old, born in Upstate New York, but currently living in Florida.  We are really honored to sit down with Arminda to learn about her, and her company Myco Creations.


How did Myco Creations Get started?

Arminda: Myco creations is a business that  grew organically, because  I never intended to have a business. All my life I created everything. I didn't own a sewing machine when I was  little, so I used to hand stitch t-shirts, tops,  hairbows, and the little pencil dresses that people are wearing now, but I used to hand stitch them when I was younger. So, I just grew up in that state of mind,where I created a little bit of everything from food to clothes. My grandmother was deep into herbal work, and I learned a lot from her by going out into the yard picking chamomile tea or apples to make juice from it, so it was always around me.  As I grew, I just picked and choose what I wanted to make my own.

I've always had a weird quirky way about me, and when I went out to eat, I would ask for certain ingredients to be added or removed, so I was co-creating without even realizing it.  I've always created, and after I decided I wanted to have a child, I told myself I had to read everything.  I had to do the best that I could for my health, and my mind in order to raise my child the best way possible. So, at that moment  is when it really began for with my research, reading food labels, and asking where my products were coming from, but I wasn't happy with the answers I was receiving.

 The results of my research put me in a state of mind where, I don't understand why things have to be done this way, and I don't think they should be done this way. But I have to just accept that, because that's what they have in the store? So that brought on an uneasiness inside of myself,  going into the store taking something off the self to satisfy a need that I had, but realistically it was either, I never liked the product, or it went under my sink and didn't get used. The lotion wouldn't feel good on my skin or the shirt would tear after 2 washes, it just frustrated to no end. Then, I was like, well, how hard could it be to make these things, so I start teaching myself how to make the products I wanted, and I started creating things for myself ,friends, and family.

 Soon after, here came the internet, and I started looking at blogs and found a group or name site "Native Style Trade and Barter" by Ayida Honor. Back then, it was just a website, and wasn't even on facebook yet. I started  introducing my products that way, and a lot of people wanted more, so with my education in computer programing, and knowing how to create websites, I did one for myself, and so here I am today with hundreds of products.

Myco Creations, took place because people asked it of me, and I wanted to share what I learned about what it is, in having whatever you want. You don't have to accept what is given to, whatever you want is available, and you can take part in the creating process and that's how, Myco Creations was born. I just wanted to share that vision with others and let them know that, if you can't physically do it yourself, either it be sewing or something else, you can still take an active role in having that product, and making it yours. My clothing line "Be Unique" is about designing it the way you want, and how we can tailor it to your vision. That's basically how my brand came about 4 years ago, and it's grown tremendously!




Where Does The Inspiration Come From?

My inspiration basically comes from my love for people, and the need to give them access to the knowledge that; you do not have to accept what's given or sold to you through the media. Also, The inspiration comes from the fact that, I know people have these ideas that they don't act upon, because of outside influences. I used to get called "weird" or told that, this or that was stupid, or what I could or could not do. People just accept whatever the store has, and not knowing that the special item you wanted can be shipped in if unavailable, until someone makes them aware of that. Furthermore, the ultimate inspiration is my love for people, and having them know that its more out there. Whatever they want is out that and if you ask for it, you will receive it. Nature has so much for us; it provides everything we need. There's a great feeling mentally, and spiritually, in having the ability to select an ingredient to learn from, use it to nourish yourself, and also knowing that's it's not harmful. So, I want people to really understand that everything we need is in nature. If you seek it, you will find.

Favorite Materials or fabrics?

Depends on what I'm creating, if it's something your going to use on your body or hair, my favorite would be coconut oil. But if I'm going to be making a piece of clothing, crocheting or knitting, then my favorite is going to be cotton. I grow it and I have a connection to cotton, it's very cool, so it's great for Florida weather. Most of the time people will knit with something thick or heavy, like acrylic yarn, because it's inexpensive, and usually people knit to have something warm. But for myself, living in Florida, and the heat levels being ridiculous; I still want to be able to wear or knit a crocheted piece, and have others experience it as well, so cotton would be the best, in my opinion. Recently, I've been getting into using "Raffia" which is straw  from a palm tree, another natural material. It's very light weight, you can grow it, and its very cool, there is much that can be done with it. I would say that, those are my favorite materials, but anything natural would be my first choice.




Any Admired Artist or Designers?

I don't really have really a specific person, I admire anyone who has a passion for creating and not letting it go to waste. There are number of men and women that I connected with who inspire me
to try something new from how they create. But no one I have on a peddle stool or have a need to be like, because of I need to be unique.

How do you feel about big corporation clothing?

I don't like the  way they try to make people think that, they have to look a certain way in order to be fashionable, pretty, or having to be the right size. They don't care about the person, and to me, you should care about the person first and foremost. It's all about the money, and how to manipulate your mind into buying their product. So, I have no regards for them, and I haven't shopped at a corporation in many years. When I do what to make a purchase,  I rather go to others in my network that do similar things that I do, and support them before I go anywhere else, corporations are my very last resort. I have no appreciation for them, except for the fact that, they help push me to do my thing, because of how they run their businesses.

Any advice for those aspiring to be a designer, entrepreneurs , crafters ect..?

Do what you love to do and don't take "no" for an answer. There will be a lot of naysayers, because they didn't take the time to do it themselves. Take what you love to do in small pieces, you can't do everything over night. You may have to study first, but if you don't start learning; then you may not be able to actually do it. So, take it slow and start somewhere, don't sit back and wait; waiting will only allow to much time to pass by, and you won't gain the confidence. You have to actually do it to receive the confidence, in what you're doing, and it takes time. Just do it and enjoy every minute of it, it's a learning process, because doing what you do, inspires others to do what they love. For me, if I can inspire another person, then I've done what I was suppose to do. Which I hope that, me being me, helps someone else in there walk in life or journey. I've gotten many confirmations that, me just doing what I do, helps others too, and I didn't realize that at the time. I just pushed through all the hard times, the naysayers, and those who called me "crazy." I just did me, and now I have  people saying that, I'm an inspiration, and how they started gardening or sewing because of me. So again, just break it down and "chew slowly." Find a network of like minded people, because if not, it will take a lot longer to break through your fears. I will always be there to help you, if I don't know of something or  I'm unsure of the problem; I will do a little research, and try to help you arrive at the right answer, because you are helping me as well. So just do it!

Check Out And Support!  Myco Creations @ http://www.mycocreations.com/












No comments:

Post a Comment